Chapter 3 HAZARDS IN SPORTS TURF
One of the first exercises to be done is to identify all the things with
the 'potential to cause harm' - HAZARDS
I have made out a list : HAZARDS IN SPORTS TURF MAINTENANCE - add or
subtract to suit your workplace
- overturning, dismounting on the move, riding on the drawbar,
attaching implements, raising and lowering implements, PTO.
- use of mowers, strimmers, saws, chainsaws, tree felling, winching,
arboriculture, fencing, abrasive wheels
- lack of guards, unblocking, lubricating or adjusting whilst in
motion, poor maintenance, cuts and bruises whilst working with equipment,
vibration from power tools etc.
- tractors without Q-cabs, chainsaws, strimmers, mowers, turf
equipment, compost mixer, compost shredder, soil screen.
- air-receivers, LPG, tyre repair.
- pesticides(insecticides, fungicides, herbicides, rodenticides, growth
hormones, etc, cleaning fluids, wood preservatives, fuels, oils, waste oil.
- tetanus, dermatitis, Weil's disease, toxocara.
- allergies from handling plants, allergies from sap, spines and
- compost handling, peat, soil, fertiliser, cutting concrete, use of
- vehicle exhausts, battery acid, welding fumes.
- maintenance work - from trees, machines, roofs, asbestos roofs,
ladders, stacks and trailers, working platforms.
- tree felling, old buildings, mis-directed golf balls, mis-directed
- boxes, peat bales, fertiliser, compost, cylinder units
- MANUAL- incorrect lifting, carrying heavy weights, loading, use of
wheelbarrow, use of trolleys, use of lifting gear.
- MECHANICAL- incorrect lifting, carrying heavy weights, loading, use
of wheelbarrow, use of trolleys, use of lifting gear, use of Agricultural
tractor front loader, use of agricultural tractor pallet lifters on 3-point
linkage, use of fork lift truck.
inspection & testing of lifting gear & compressors.
- OVERHEAD LINES : irrigation, tipping lorries, trailers, sprayers,
augers, tree felling
- UNDERGROUND LINES gas, electricity
- POOR MAINTENANCE of electrical equipment, trailing leads, .
- fuels, chemicals, nitram fertiliser, peat, use of LPG
- fuel stores, pesticide store : LPG, fencing, barriers, signs
- pesticide containers, rinsings
- driver authorisation, maintenance, driving standards, traffic routes,
SAFE SYSTEMS/ PERMITS TO WORK
- confined spaces, overhead power lines, excavations, maintenance
- lift trucks, chain saw, pesticides, ATV's
- heating lighting, ventilation, cleanliness, seating, local exhaust
ventilation floors, doors, windows, skylights, (inc. cleaning),
- dangerous field conditions, waterways, ditches, slopes, underground
- evacuation, fires, first-aid, doctor.
- requirements use, maintenance, training :chainsaw, ATV, welding,
- toilets, washing, eating changing, drinking water, rest areas,
- drilling, cutting, grinding, welding, lathe work
These are the hazards at your workplace (plus a few others which you
may have found). The question to be asked is: What arrangements have you put
in place to reduce, to acceptable levels, the likelihood of such a hazard
causing an accident? That is the subject of RISK ASSESSMENT.
- machinery, ladders, chemicals, heavy objects, large containers