Chapter 22 TRANSPORT

One of the problems, which a lot of groundsmen and greenkeepers have, is that of the transport of goods and equipment around the sportsground or course, as well as delivery of materials.

It is obviously always better to have materials delivered by the supplier as he then has the responsibility, and the only responsibility you then have is while he is delivering and is on your property. You must consider :

  1. problems of interaction between pedestrians and delivery lorries as they drive in, in the yard and as they drive out.
  2. problems of taking delivery and security.

However, it is sometimes not possible to have materials delivered and this then falls on the groundsman. There are three basic transport problems I would like to discuss:


Pesticides can be transported in three basic ways

1. if delivered in a van, the van must have a vapour-proof barrier between the driver and the load.


2. the pesticides can be held in a vapour-proof box


3. the pesticides can be transported in a trailer which is secure from tampering

In each case the containers should be kept upright and should not move during transit. There should be enough bunding in each case that if all the contents leaked there would be no leakage outwith the transport storage area.

There are also some materials and equipment which should be carried in case of breakage or spillage:

There should be an emergency plan which considers whether you carry a mobile telephone and a note of emergency telephone numbers - local Police, Hospital, Doctor and the nearest Poisons Unit.

From this you will appreciate that it is only possible to carry small amounts in a private car and that in order to do this you would require a Transport Box These are available, made of fibreglass, holding up to 20 litres, and costing around £100-120.

In most cases a pickup with a lockable box in the rear is probably ideal.


The maximum petroleum spirit allowed to be carried in a private car is 2 gallons - approx. 10 litres and must be in a container made to carry petrol - not an old oil container cleaned out for the purpose!

By far the best way to transport is with a tractor and trailer or with a pickup


It is clear from the above that a PRIVATE CAR MUST NOT BE USED.


Sometimes equipment must be moved around the Sportsground or Golf Course. If carried in a vehicle it is important that it is

When using ride-on equipment it is tempting to drive along the road. Please remember that if you drive along a public road you are subject to the Road Traffic Laws, the vehicle will have to be licensed (usually as an agricultural vehicle) and your Insurance Company informed.

If the Ride-on mower just crosses a road, a road licence is not required but your Public Liability Insurance Company should be informed. The crossing of the road must be direct - indirect crossing may involve the ride-on mower going along the road for a few yards and thus coming under the Road Traffic Laws.

All the above are 'Transport Problems' which I have seen in the last few weeks. Please read the above, follow the above, or you could be the principal cause of an accident!!!